Alexandros Merkouris is a film director based in Athens, Greece. He specializes in producing documentaries and branded content that focus on human stories.
- He directed his first feature documentary film 'The perfect meal' exploring the science behind the Mediterannean diet. A Greek-French-Spanish production broadcasted in ARTE tv, TVE, ERT, COSMOTE tv.
- He directed the TV campaign of WWF Greece ‘Fight for your World’, celebrating 30 years of WWF activity in Greece. ( Ermis award )
- He co-directed the documentary series ‘Disasters and Triumphs’ for the Greek TV channel SKAI (Anemon productions). In a 7-episode documentary series based on his best-selling book, political scientist Stathis Kalyvas revisits key moments in the nation’s recent history, to highlight how Greeks have triumphed by setting goals which are beyond their reach.
- He directed the documentary ‘Journey to Ithaca’, a BBC storyworks production in collaboration with Huyndai Europe. In 2012 an industrial scale fish farm went bankrupt, abandoning tons of nets, cages and traps where they lay. The documentary follows a team of volunteers from around the world who are working to restore Ithaca’s marine environment to its former glory.
- 2017 -
- He collaborates with London based Monocle magazine, creating films about architecture, travel, food and culture. In the recent film ‘Why Greeks live longer’ we visit the heart of the Aegean, the island of Ikaria that used to be a secluded spot with a humble and unhurried way of life. Today, a third of the island's population lives to be more than 90 years old. We venture to the local kafeneios, wild beaches and abundant allotments to meet the bronzed seniors.
Alexandros has also worked with organizations such as the the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, the British Council, the National Greek Opera, the National Museum of Contemporary Art Athens, the Museum of Cycladic Art, and others. He has directed branded films for companies like LIDL, AB, TAP, Three Cents, and more.
Copyright © 2023 - Alexandros Merkouris | All Rights Reserved